ABOUT THE EPISODE
Josh sits down with David Wright who is the Director of Parks and Recreation in Bentonville, Arkansas. This is a particularly important and informative interview as Bentonville has an amazing parks system which also includes extensive hard surface and natural surface trails. Warning – Positive Community Development and Public Open Spaces ahead. Everything from Trails to Cricket is discussed. This interview is hands down the most impactful positive interview on Driftless Dirt to date and we hope you enjoy listening.
Topics covered in this episode:
- The early story of David Wright and how he grew up working with his parents to create a grass roots type of parks system in his home town. We also discuss David’s path to Parks and Recreation in Bentonville.
- The early days of David as Parks Director in Bentonville, and how there were no organized forms of recreation offered in Bentonville before David arrived – Now there are 140 recreational programs.
- The importance of all parks and recreation facilities. This topic includes the process leading up to building a great community center, and the latest All-Inclusive Park that opened in October of 2019.
- The introduction of Hard Surface and Natural Surface trails to the community and how that has led to massive growth
- The importance of neighborhood connectivity via trails – which has showcased a true sense of community.
- The Razorback Greenway – a 40-mile greenway that connects the south end of Fayetteville to Bella Vista Arkansas
- How trails have increased property values and the quality of life.
- The Return on investment for trails in relation to other park amenities.
- The Future of Parks in Bentonville – which includes a massive system of beaver dams that will be preserved for the ecological and filtration benefits that the beaver dams provide.
RELATED SHOW LINKS
Bentonville Parks and Recreation: https://www.bentonvillear.com/350/Parks-Recreation
Bentonville Inclusive Playground: https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/oct/20/bentonville-breaks-barriers-with-inclus/
Razorback Greenway: http://www.nwatrails.org/trail/razorback-regional-greenway/
Walton Foundation / People For Bike Study: https://www.waltonfamilyfoundation.org/learning/flash-cards/trails-and-cycling-in-northwest-arkansas
OZ Trails: https://oztrailsnwa.com/
Support for Trail EAffect Comes from Smith’s Bike Shop in La Crosse, WI: https://smithsbikes.com/
This show has been edited and produced by Evolution Trail Services, for more information go to:
If you have any questions about Mountain Bike Radio in general, please contact Ben at Ben@Mountainbikeradio.com
ABOUT TRAIL EAFFECT
Trails build community and Communities build trails. What came first you may ask… Host Josh Blum digs into the stories of how trails effect and affect the people and places we call home and those we might like to call home.
ABOUT THE HOST
Josh Blum is a father, husband, and doer of stuff – paired with Advocate, Builder of Trails and Community. Originally from La Crosse WI, Josh has been enjoying the outdoors, trails, and mountain bikes since a young age. Always curious and learning about better ways to improve trail users’ experiences. Josh is employed by WisDOT, and is the owner / operator of Evolution Trail Services.